att3b1 logout

Donald Lashomb donlash at uncle.uucp
Thu Aug 30 02:02:06 AEST 1990

In article <4486 at vaxwaller.UUCP> lefko at vaxwaller.UUCP (Marty Lefkowitz) writes:
>first, thanks for the pointer to dirent.  I loaded that library up and
>am now running bash.  (now if I only had a manual).
>
>I'm having another problem though maybe someone else has run across.
>For some reason my machine decided to not let me log back in after I
>log out.  I have to reboot the system.  When I log out the window
>manager comes on the screen, whether I've been using the windows or
>not, with no menu.  I just get a blank window.  Does anybody know
>whats wrong?

Sounds like the problem I had awhile ago when I installed the 3.51m
aka FixDisk2 stuff.  The problem seems to be in the init-getty-login
area.  Even though a fellow with source code at AT&T was trying to
help me with my trouble, I never did resolve the problem.

What I did in the end was scrap the init, getty and login programs
that came with FixDisk2 and reload the original versions of them.
This, however, is not a perfect solution, as there were bugs in the
original versions of these programs, or else AT&T wouldn't have
released new ones with the FixDisk2, would they :-)  Also now I
occasionally find the file /etc/utmp.lck on my system.  This file
is supposed to be a temporary lock file while init, ph or smgr muck
with the utmp file- one of these guys is not cleaning-up properly,
I suspect ph.  utmp.lck doesn't seem to prevent init from respawning
a getty on the console/windows, but it does prevent my uugetty from
working in tty000.

I know the above probably ain't much help to you, but if you are
running the 3.51m - FixDisk2 stuff, then you got the same problem
I do.  Maybe someone with source code can take a fresh look at it
and nail-down the problem.

-Don

Donald Lashomb		donlash at uncle.UUCP -or-
Cranberry Lake, NY	uncle!crlake!{root install donny}