Help! Dead 3B1 just clicks and blinks.

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.ICUS.COM
Mon Aug 13 00:30:20 AEST 1990

In article <21187692 at macs.UUCP> rpb at macs.UUCP (Bob Breum) writes:

|>I came home the other day, and discovered my poor 3b1 going, "Click, click,
|>click..."  The caps lock and nums lock lights were flashing in unison, and
|>that was it.  No display, no disk activity (floppy or HD), just a steady
|>clicking and the smell of toasted insulation.
|>
|>I took it apart, but there is nothing obvious to my untrained eye.  Obviously,
|>the powerline fuse integrated into the powercord receptacle is intact.  Any
|>help would be appreciated!

Sounds like a dead power supply to me.  The power was kicking in and out.
Don't let the 3B1 do this too long, it could damage other components, as well.
Get yourself a new power supply, it's possible that you can still get one
from Mike Levin (levin at Hotline.COM) for ~$45 or so.  Replace it, and all
should be OK.

Good luck.

--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny at icus.ICUS.COM |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,sbcs,hombre,rayssd}!icus!lenny   attmail!icus!lenny  |