6386E/33 goofiness with DOS and modem

Carlo Milono cmilono at netcom.UUCP
Wed Aug 15 11:05:32 AEST 1990

In article <4988 at infmx.UUCP> aland at infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:
>I recently added an official AT&T modem (model 2224CEO) to a running
>6386E/33, hooked up to COM2 (I had only a DB9 cable).  It works
>just fine with "cu" on UNIX.

    There are two problems with UNIX and the CEO modem, the first is
    with the modem - it is almost totally software defined and unless
    you set the internal options correctly, the following will happen:

	1) Data Transparency - must be set to YES, otherwise certain
           character sequences may (will) set your modem into a variety
           of modes - Digital Loopback is one of them.
	2) Interactive - must be set to OFF - a dip in the front will
           seal your options - one result of this being off is hilarious:
		Port sends string from 'getty' - modem sees it as command,
	        modem responds with error message, 'login' accepts it,
		'password' from port - etc, etc., etc.  You now have the
	        modem talking to the port forever (or until you reset the
	        port/modem.

    The second problem is with MNP on the CEO - you must make sure that
    a 'uucp' is going to go to another modem that supports that protocol,
    or you may be able to upload, but not download.   There are several
    'Dialers' entries possible for the CEO, depending on how you wish to
    use it (MNP, or not...what class, etc.) - unfortunately, the one in
    the earlier version of UNIX is a bit off...email me if you want the
    scripts...

>The next time I booted DOS, I got drastic slow-downs in screen
>operations, scrolling, etc.
    Do you have Simultask or VPIX?  The internal COM ports are not
    intelligent, and a 'deadly embrace' like I mentioned above would
    account for such behavior - VPIX gives you an 8086 machine.

    The console redirection may indeed play a part, but I would suggest
    a very close look at your CEO options, and ultimately at the script
    for Dialers.  There are five known configurations for Dialers, as
    follows:

	Config	Protocol	UUCP	MNP	SPEED
	1	E             enabled   4.8     2.9
        2       E             enabled   2.4     2.4
        3       G             enabled   4.8     2.4
        4       G             enabled   2.4     2.2
        5       G            disabled   2.4     2.2
 NOTE: each config has different entries in Dialers, Systems, Devices.
|                   Carlo Milono                                           |
|    Personal:    netcom!cmilono at apple.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono     |
|    Business:    cmilono at iliad.att.com                                    |
|"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere |
| in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." B.Watterson |