3.25" Disks on 3b1 --- compatable w. 386 Unix machines?

paul kirkaas kirkaas at oahu.cs.ucla.edu
Mon Aug 20 16:00:42 AEST 1990

I want to put a 3.25" floppy drive into my 3b1.  I think I have a good idea
about the technical side of it (not too tricky) but I
want to know if the resultant disks will be readable in a different machine;
that is a 386 based unix machine.  Specifically, i want to back up
all my text files on the 3b1 with a compressed cpio archive across multiple
floppy disks.  This is fine if I read the disks back into the 3b1, but what
if something happens to the 3b1 and I want to upgrade to a 386 based unix
machine?  Will I be able to restore my multiple-disk cpio'd text files from the
3b1 to the 386?

I would appreciate any information in this regard, as this is a vital
consideration.

Thanks.

Paul
Paul Kirkaas