3B1 hardware questions

James Birdsall jwbirdsa at amc-gw.amc.com
Fri Dec 28 15:21:30 AEST 1990

   1) I recently went to add a power switch to my 3B1 monitor. However,
mine turns out to be the type without a fuse, and there was no other
obvious indication of which lead was the 12V power lead. When I checked the
voltages (did this with connector unplugged from monitor pc board to avoid
nasty high voltages :-) ), TWO of the conductors showed 12V. They were pins
1 and 2 on the monitor end, red and white wires respectively. Which of
these is the real power lead? Or are they both?

   2) I have a combo board without RAM. Judging by the number and layout of
the sockets, it takes 256Kx1 DIP DRAMs, 8 + 1 parity. What speed should
these chips be? Or am I on the wrong track?

   3) One of the things I keep hearing from the 3B1 hackers on this group
is that the machine is fast. I have not meddled with the ktune parameters
and, in the default state, my old PC/XT is at least as fast and faster in
some cases. Is something grossly misadjusted or am I expecting too much?

--
James W. Birdsall            jwbirdsa at amc.com             uunet!amc-gw!jwbirdsa
"The OS shouldn't die every time the controller drools on a sector." -- a sysop