What assembler code is generated by C instruction X?

Barry L. Wallis wallis at labc.enet.dec.com
Sun Dec 30 14:42:21 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec28.220115.15930 at shibaya.lonestar.org>, afc at shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) writes...

|>The next thing that comes to mind is a bare bones program whose whole purpose
|>is to use each C instruction/construct once, with function and/or variable
|>names such that the particular item can be quickly located in the (many)
|>lines of assembler generated.  This would make it relatively easy to
|>connect assembly code with the C instruction that generated it, for any
|>compiler/cpu type, without extraneous garbage in the way.

You may want to try using something like Borland's Turbo Debugger VIEW-CPU
window. This will show you each source line with the relevant assembler code
beneath it. You can dump this to the logwindow and write it to disk.

BTW, what are you planning to do about optimizations (e.g., the same source
line(s) may generate different code depending on other source lines).

---
Barry L. Wallis			USENET: wallis at labc.dec.com
Database Consultant		Prodigy (don't laugh): DNMX41A
U.S. DECtp Resource Center	DECUServe: EISNER::WALLIS (not on the net yet)
Los Angeles, CA			"No one voted for me, I represent myself"
---