Mystery connectors...

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US
Thu Dec 20 22:12:04 AEST 1990

[ in a real netnews mood this evening! ]

Bob Stratton writes:

> What is the "DTR" connector? It looks like those mentioned above,
> and says "B46337541 DTR" with a lot # on the case.

EPORTS supports hardware flow control on its CTS and RTS lines,
but many devices (printers, usually) use DTR for their busy
line.  The DTR connector is like a terminal printer adaptor
except DTR is routed where RTS usually is and CD and DTR on
the 3B2 side are jumpered.  This means that you no longer get
hangup-on-power-off but you do get hardware flow control.

Better is to build a connector that routes some always-high
signal on the termianl into the CD input on the 3B2 -- I often
find (oddly enough) that RTS is available for this.o

    Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY  /  3B2-kind-of-guy  /  Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

Why not add Hollerith fields to printf()?