How can I dump the contents of a crash/dump part'n onto floppy?

Colonel Panic aland at infmx.informix.com
Sat Dec 29 12:02:47 AEST 1990

System:  386 running AT&T System V/386 Release 3.2.2
         Dedicated crash/dump partition on disk 0

This system is configured with a dedicated crash/dump slice, which is
used to store the dump file in the event of a panic.  Works just fine
with crash(1).

If I *didn't* have a dedicated slice and a panic occured, I guess I
would be prompted upon next boot if I wanted to save the dump file
onto floppy or tape.  I'm assuming that the routine is smart enough
to split the dump over multiple floppies and reassemble it later somehow?

Anyway, my problem: I need to give a dump to the network vendor to help
diagnose the network problem causing the panic.  How do I copy the
contents of that slice onto floppies in such a way that they can turn
around and upload it at their end?  dd(1) doesn't do multi-volume.
cpio doesn't copy the contents character special devices (right?).
So, how do I unload it to floppy????  Am I missing something simple?
I guess I could write something in C to do it, but it seems that there
should be an easier way.  I RTFM'd all through the sections on panics
and crash(1) and such.

Any help appreciated.  Followups to comp.unix.admin.

--
Alan Denney  #  aland at informix.com  #  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "Out on the highway doing 98... radio's blastin', and he's tempting fate
  He swears he saw an angel in a black Corvette
  She was blowing him kisses through her cigarette
  Boy's gone crazy;  it's not just a phase, he's one step over the line..."
                                "Boy's Gone Crazy", Was (Not Was)