Mondo Combo Card *opinions* [was: Re: SCSI for 3b1: myth or

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Tue Dec 4 08:28:01 AEST 1990

ryan at berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com (Dan Guilderson)
in <RYAN.90Dec3111953 at berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com> writes:

>In article <36444 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>
>   As I keep telling people, there is still considerable life in the 3B1, and
>   I expect mine to be still operating 'til at least 2000 A.D.
>
>Won't the unix-pc die after 1999?  :-)
>
>When I powered up my system, it prompted me for the date and time and
>only allowed a year between 84-99!!  Time is quickly running out!

Naw!  The menu choices for year in the UA menus is simply an ASCII file for
which additional values can be edited-in.

The "internal" UNIX date&time can go out way beyond 2000 A.D.

Already, in 1990, I'm seeing UNIX systems whose "date" program permits the
specification of a 4-digit year; this will be ALL that's required to re-invent
for the 3B1 sometime during the next 10 years.  If you'll note (by typing date)
,
the present ctime() already produces a 4-digit year, so there's no problem
there.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]