GCC for the 3B2

Greg A. Woods woods at eci386.uucp
Tue Dec 11 04:01:57 AEST 1990

In article <178 at platypus.uofs.edu> bill at platypus.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
> Is there a version of GCC available for the 3B2??  Specificaly, I have a
> 3B2 400 and it has to have the most brain-dead C compiler I have ever seen.
> I am trying to compile a program that I have on various (old) 68K machines
> and I keep getting "out of symbol table space".

Though I'm not sure exactly which version of CPLU you have (you didn't
say even which OS release you have), you can hardly call it
brain-dead.  It did, after all, compile the entire OS, and thousands
of other applications.

In fact, I think CPLU 4.2 is a fantastic compiler.  Sure it's a bit
slow and cumbersome on a small 3B2, but it does a wonderful job.  The
technology it employs is very modern.  If you'd rather have a fast
compiler that generates poor code, drop the -O flag.

The particular error you are encountering can come from various parts
of CPLU, but I will assume it is cpp.  Almost all stock versions of
the AT&T compiler, be they for the 3B2, 386, or M68K, have this problem

> GCC would sure be nice.  Anybody ever heard of a version for the 3B2??

GCC isn't yet available.  We are working on it though.  On the other
hand, I'm not an ANSI C fan, so I can wait for SysVr4.

In the mean-time, you can quickly and easily port the GNU version of
cpp (that is part of GCC).  I have done this to work around the very
problem you have encountered on the 3b1, 3b2, and i386.  I don't have
the set of config files I cooked up to do this on the 3B2, but it's
not that hard to do again.  You don't even need alloca(), since the
one in libPW works fine.

Here's the CFLAGS I use to call the GNU cpp:

CFLAGS = -Yp,/usr/local/lib -Wp,-traditional $(INCS) $(DEBUG)

where GNU cpp is installed in /usr/local/lib.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada