3b1 internal modem and floppy problems

Paul Herzog ampah at swpyr2.sbc.com
Tue Dec 4 07:59:33 AEST 1990

Need help on two separate problems; actually on two different 3b1's.

First, when trying to use the floppy drive the Window keeps coming up
saying that either the drive needs to be closed or there isn't a floppy
in the drive; both untrue of course.

The above occurs mostly when trying to use "cpio" for backups.  The
strange part is that the backup will actually start sometimes and get
partially done and will actually seem to be continuing in the background
while the error message is displayed.  The problem also occurs when I try
to "mount /dev/fp021 /mnt".  In this case, it usually just looks at me
for long while and then gives the message.

Are there any adjustments that can be made or checked?  Mind you, I have
cleaned it (dust bunnies as well as heads with Kodak head cleaner kit).
How does it determine if a floppy is installed?

Second problem, but on a different machine, is an internal modem that
works just fine for dial out (uucp or an interactive session) but will
not "pick-up" the line on an in-coming call (neither line 1 or line 2)
in either data or voice mode.

Any help on either of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

--
Paul Herzog			VOICE   : 314-235-8025
One Bell Center RM 30F7		UUCP    : uunet!swbatl!swpyr2!ampah
Southwestern Bell		INTERNET: ampah at swpyr2.sbc.com
St. Louis, MO 63050