Hardware Flow Control on tty

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.ssdl.com
Sun Dec 23 16:53:46 AEST 1990

In article <2173 at westmark.WESTMARK.COM> dave at westmark.WESTMARK.COM (Dave Levenson) writes:
>I am trying to use a high speed V.32 modem on a tty port using AT&T
>SysV/386r3.2.2.  The modem allows the DTE and DCE speeds to differ,
>and then offers a choice of flow control methods.

As of the last time I investigated this, the TTY driver on SVR3.2.2
didn't have HFC.  The only way to do this is to replace the TTY driver
with some other TTY device driver, such as FAS.

FAS is a public-domain TTY device driver which, as well as supporting
hardware flow control, also allows FIFO support for the NS16550 UART.
This is important when you're running a modem/terminal at high speeds
without losing characters.

There are some bugs in FAS, so you'd want to keep your eyes open for
new versions.  I'm using it on my 386 though, and it's worth it even
with the few bugs.

--
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.              gil at limbic.ssdl.com   ...!ames!limbic!gil
Southwest Systems Development Labs (Div of ICUS)   Houston, Texas