Adding SCSI disk to 6386/25 WGS

Carlo Milono cmilono at netcom.UUCP
Fri Dec 14 04:18:50 AEST 1990

In article <6947 at drutx.ATT.COM> vqh at dwx3bn.ATT.COM (Viet Q. Hoang) writes:

>I'm trying to move an Imprimis disk from a 3B2 to a 6386/25 with
>a WD SCSI controller.  The system does not recognize the disk so
>it won't configure it.  I've added an entry for this disk in the
>/etc/scsi/tc.index file, what else do I need to do?  Is there

Yes, there are several other files you need to edit and commands to
execute.  What follows below is an extract of a problem-resolution
for a very similar problem.  I believe that the Imprimis SCSI will work
as the 6386/33S uses the same SCSI drives as the 3B...you should have
gotten an error message as to the Drive I.D. - you *will* need that, but
I suspect that if you have already edited the 'tc.index' file, you are
already close to the answer....

HERE IS THE EXTRACT:

A customer recently tried to add a 600M CDC hard drive as the second hard
drive on a 6386/33S machine.  After following all the required instructions
for physically adding and connecting the drive the drive would not initialize
during the boot process. The boot process would generate the error message
"Drive 94181 not supported".

In order for the SCSI subsystem to recognize the new second hard drive the
SCSI ID string must be part of the following two files:

1) /etc/scsi/tc.index   [Refer to FIGURE 1 for sample file]
2) /etc/conf/pack.d/sd01/space.c  [Refer to FIGURE 2 for sample file]

The two files (tc.index and space.c) shown above must be modified to insert
the proper SCSI ID string.  Using the ascii editor of your choice modify the
files as follows.

-------------------------+
/etc/scsi/tc.index       |-------------------------------------------
-------------------------+

CAUTION:  It is advisable to make copies of the files to be modified
          before attempting any modification.

REFER TO FIGURE 1 FOR SAMPLE FILE.

You will notice with this file that there are three lines which form
the complete entry for one SCSI device.  These three lines start with
the following:

TCINQ
MKDEV
FORMAT

Each entry for one specific SCSI device requires all three lines to be present.

The easiest way to modify this file is to make a copy of the three lines which
represent the SCSI entry for the CDC 94171-9 hard drive and then modify the
line starting with "TCINQ" to replace the 94171-9 number with the 94181-15 ID
number.  The resultant entry will look as follows:

         000000000111111111122222 \
         123456789012345678901234 | <------(24 character spaces)
         |||||||||||||||||||||||| |
         VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV /

TCINQ    CDC     94181-15
MKDEV    /etc/scsi/mkdev.d/disk1
FORMAT   /etc/scsi/format.d/sd00.0

CAUTION:  The SCSI ID entry  on the line starting with "TCINQ" must be exactly
          24 characters long.  No more no less.  There cannot be any embedded
          control, escape or tab characters within the SCSI ID line.

--------------------------------+
/etc/conf/pack.d/sd01/space.c   |------------------------------------
--------------------------------+

CAUTION:  It is advisable to make copies of the files to be modified before
attempting any modification.

REFER TO FIGURE 2 FOR SAMPLE FILE.

This file contains several lines of information.  Only one needs to be changed.
Unlike the file above (tc.index) this file has only one line per SCSI ID entry.

The easiest way to modify this file is to copy the existing SCSI ID line that
deals with the present SCSI hard drive.  That should look like the following:

         000000000111111111122222 \
         123456789012345678901234 | <------(24 character spaces)
         |||||||||||||||||||||||| |
         VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV /

        "CDC     94171-9         ", 1,   /* DIF Embedded Cntrl */

NOTE:   There are exactly 24 character spaces between the double quote marks.

Then change the copied line to insert the new SCSI ID entry.  After the
modification you should have two lines which look like the following:

"CDC     94171-9         ", 1,  /* DIF Embedded Cntrl  */
"CDC     94181-15        ", 1,  /* DIF Embedded Cntrl  */

---------------------+
Last step            |-----------------------------------------------
---------------------+

After making the modifications to the files listed above you must rebuild the
kernel.  This is accomplished by the following procedure:

1) type cd /   * this will you put back to the root directory
2) type /etc/conf/bin/idbuild   * this will rebuild the unix kernel

You should see a message stating that the kernel is being rebuilt.

After the rebuild process and a reboot it should now recognize both of the
SCSI drives.  If you still have a problem, go back to recheck the modified
files to make sure that the SCSI ID string occupies exactly 24 character
spaces.  A common mistake is to insert additional spaces or tabs into the SCSI
ID field.

You can now administer the second hard drive through FACE.

This procedure should equally work with other SCSI peripherals as long as the
proper SCSI ID string is inserted into these files.  The SCSI ID string is
normally provided by the manufacturer of the SCSI peripheral.

/-----------------------------FIGURE 1------------------------------\

Sample of tc.index file

TCINQ    EMULEX  MD23/S2     ESDI
MKDEV    /etc/scsi/mkdev.d/disk1
FORMAT   /etc/scsi/format.d/sd00.0

  (there are several more SCSI ID entries)

TCINQ    CDC     94171-9
MKDEV    /etc/scsi/mkdev.d/disk1
FORMAT   /etc/scsi/format.d/sd00.0

/------------------------------FIGURE 2-----------------------------\

Sample of space.c file

/*      Copyright (c)  1984, 1986, 1987, etc
/*      THIS IS UNPUBLISHED PROPRIETARY SOURCE CODE OF AT&T    */
/*      The copyright notice .....etc                          */

#ident ......etc
#include "sys.....etc
  (there are several
   include statements)

struct disk .....etc
struct job ......etc
struct tc_data Sd01_data[] = {
        (...these following lines are the SCSI ID codes)
        "EMULEX  MD21/S2     ESDI", 4,   /* Bridge Cntrl       */
        (...This entry is followed several more SCSI ID entries.)
        "CDC     94171-9         ", 1,   /* DIF Embedded Cntrl */