Mystery connectors...

Carlo Milono cmilono at netcom.UUCP
Sat Dec 15 12:33:33 AEST 1990

In article <957 at gagme.chi.il.us> greg at gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) writes:

>Ok, I know what an ACU Modem adapter is, and what a
>Terminal/Printer adapter is, but what are:
>
>Remote/Console   (Part No. 232 21 25 008)

----Remote/Console allows for faking out the CPU. For example, on some systems
the lack of a *real* System Console will cause the system to power-down
or panic...this can happen if the terminal is turned off, e.g.
----In addition, you might want to have a modem as the console and to appear
to have DTR ready, but a modem is not a DTE, but a DCE...this adapter is
constructed to allow remote access to the console with the above mentioned
gotchas taken care of.

>	-and-
>355 AF

-----Another protection device...the 355 A has both resistors and diodes to
protect *precious* equipment.  I have seen it on ISN's especially, since the
range of the net can be so large that the exposure to harmful electric stuff
is greater...this RS232 adapter supposedly protects the equipment; I believe
that it comes in both ACU/Modem Male/Female and Terminal/Printer Male/Female.
I don't think that there are Remote/Console 355's.