modem control

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US
Thu Dec 20 22:02:25 AEST 1990

In article <3852 at moxie.lonestar.org>, hack at moxie.lonestar.org (Greg Hackney) writes:

> I don't have any hardware manuals, but it appears that DCD is crossed
> with DSR in the 8 conductor 3B2 AT&T RJ type Modem connectors.
> To use 'cu', I had to force DCD high on my modem, that is until I
> rewired the connector:

Uucp and uucico can be told to open the port in O_NDELAY mode by
marking the Devices file tty name with ",M":

	ACU	ttyA7,M -  2400    hayes

Then, in the Dialers script you must add \M and \m tokens to
enable/disable CLOCAL mode

	hayes	=,-,	"" \M\dAT\r\c OK\r \EATDT\T\r\c CONNECT \m\c
			   ^^                                   ^^
			enable CLOCAL                      disable CLOCAL

It enables CLOCAL mode for the duration of dialing, and once the
CONNECT is seen (i.e., once carrier is present) CLOCAL is turned
off and a hangup will truly hangup.

This won't solve all the uugetty problems, but it is a big start.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY  /  3B2-kind-of-guy  /  Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

Why not add Hollerith fields to printf?