Mondo Combo Card *opinions* [was: Re: SCSI for 3b1: myth or

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sun Dec 2 14:05:42 AEST 1990

	In article <1990Nov16.063841.26139 at cbnews.att.com>, res at cbnews.att.com
	(Robert E. Stampfli) writes:
	> > I gather that so far no one makes a SCSI adapter for the 3b1.  If
	> > this correct?  If not, what is the source?

	For fear of coming off as the world's biggest pessimist, I'll going to
	express my comments nevertheless.  Remember, ...

I was a bit disappointed with IDT's inability to bring their product to
market, especially after I tried to put them in touch with a group working
for PacBell (N.Calif) interested in the 3B1 and with 4 people who are EXPERTS
writing UNIX device drivers.  Sigh.

HOWEVER: at this past week's Silicon Valley AT&T UNIX User's Group meeting,
we were treated to the announcement of a WORKING prototype "new" disk drive
controller project for the 3B1.  From my notes:

	the project fits on a 4-layer daughterboard which in turn plugs into
	the present WD2010/WD1010 socket

	the daughterboard is controlled by an MC68HC11 chip programmed to
	emulate the signals of the WD2010/WD1010 as far as the UNIXPC is
	concerned

	the actual disk controller is the WD42C22A supporting RLL and ESDI.

	four (4) hard drives WORK on the system, using a technique called
	"disk striping".  I.e. due to present limitations in the number of
	of HDs supported by UNIXPC software, the "trick" is to tell it that
	each pair of physical HDs is really one large logical HD ... with
	34 or 57 sectors per track vs. MFM's usual 17 sectors per track.
	Using RLL and/or ESDI, this "trick" ups considerably the max possible
	HD capacity of the system in addition to (potentially) providing
	extremely fast disk I/O (esp. with the RAM cache)

	there is a possibility of also SCSI support.  And also Ethernet
	capability on the card.

	the card itself contains some 64Kbytes RAM cache with intelligent
	(due to the 68HC11) track management.

	Noting that the WD42C22A costs $65 and the data separation chip costs
	$35, what with the additional parts (PCB, RAM, "glue" chips, pins,
	wires, etc.), software and docs, the ESTIMATED cost is $400 as of
	November 28, 1990.

THERE IS AS YET NO PLANS FOR GOING INTO PRODUCTION.  The information above is
the extent of my knowledge on the project, but I do know the person involved.
As I stated, the announcement was made to our Users' Group as a "Work In
Progress" report, and it might not come to fruition, so don't hold your breath.

I'll post additional information, one way or the other, as it becomes
available.

As I keep telling people, there is still considerable life in the 3B1, and
I expect mine to be still operating 'til at least 2000 A.D.

The 3B1/UNIXPC is worth acquiring even now just for the VoicePower card, esp.
if you look at what DOESN'T exist for other computers.

And at today's prices, you tell me where you'll find a more-affordable UNIX
box for (at least) home use.

Sure, I'm getting a "modern" SVR4 box with (at least) a 68030, but I have NO
intention of abandoning my 3B1 and Miniframe systems, especially since they
outperform A/UX 2.0 running on a Mac II (mostly due to brain-damaged system
architecture in the Macs, but, what the hey! :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]