3B1/UNIXPC problems with WD2010 disk chip *SOLVED*

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Thu Dec 13 23:06:55 AEST 1990

You're NOT gonna believe this, but ...

I've been "out" the past 8 days with a cold/flu/whatever.  I'll be responding
shortly to all those interested in the UNIXPC Device Driver Guide.

Besides having had a chance to catch up on much-needed sleep, I had the time
and opportunity to study the problem with WD2010 chip usage in the 3B1/UNIXPC.

C0WABUNGA, D00DS AND D00DETTES!!!  I have *FINALLY* come up with the fix for
those 3B1/UNIXPC systems that would NOT work with the WD2010 disk controller
chip.  I just (this evening) modified a Rev.B and a Rev.C system that would
not "take" a WD2010 before, and now they work perfectly.  With a LARGE HD.

I'll post the details tomorrow; I'm really quite fatigued.  But I tell you,
being able to install the Foundation Set on them thar systems with a WD2010
*REALLY* made me happy!

The alterations should cost less than US$1.00 and comprise:

	- 74123 TTL IC chip (reason for this tomorrow),
	- 4.75K 1% (that's ONE PERCENT TOLERANCE) precision resistor, and
	- about 6-8" of the "standard" wire-wrap type of wire for patches

Just wanted to pass on the GOOD NEWS before I fall asleep at my keyboard.

Stay tuned for more news tomorrow.  In the meantime, you may wish to check
the "Rev Level" of your system if you previously had a problem with a WD2010
chip.  The "Rev. Level" sticker is on the motherboard near the volume control.
Systems that will NEED the fix are (possibly) ``Rev. B'' and ``Rev. C'' and
maybe others.

And I'll also tell the story of 3B1/UNIXPC "Revision Levels".  You're probably
not gonna believe it; I didn't at first, either.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]