Multiple questions about drivers and MGR

Jeffrey L Bromberger jeffrey at sci.ccny.cuny.edu
Tue Dec 11 13:53:50 AEST 1990

OK.  I've been saving up a whole lot of questions for the drivers
experts out there:

First off, I scrapped the standard windowing system for MGR.  In the
process, I decided not to load the wind driver.  However nice this is,
it seems that scrset (the program that blanks the screen) needs that
stupid driver to work.  Does anyone out there have any suggestions on
how to blank the screen WITHOUT reloading the driver?  I realize that
I can load it and not use the UA, but I'd prefer not to have it there
at all.  Would it call for making a tiny driver that does the blanking
like wind did?  If I am stuck loading it, I'd have to use the working.off
patch that came with MGR, correct?

Second, I have gotten my hands on an Ethernet card and drivers
(finally).  Has anyone tried MGR using the distributed pty code?
(Is anybody still *using* mgr??) Can the ethernet stuff work without
actually having a live connection (local stuff, I mean!)?

Lastly, I saw (and, of course, neglected to save) the discourse on
driver incompatibilities.  Has there been a definitive list on what
drivers must be loaded before others??  So far, the only drivers that
I know about are:
	a) combo card		 b) voice power
	c) dos			 d) ethernet
	e) starlan		 f) floppy tape
	g) wind
I'm guessing that the other drivers out there (like Mike Ditto's
/dev/fd driver) doesn't conflict with the other cards and drivers.
BTW: any preference of the lipc over the nipc driver?

Any insight and help would be appreciated.

[...]

Jeffrey L. Bromberger
System Operator---City College of New York---Science Computing Facility
jeffrey at sci.ccny.cuny.edu			jeffrey at ccnysci.BITNET
	Anywhere!{cmcl2,philabs,phri}!ccnysci!jeffrey