RAM testing & ROMs

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sat Dec 22 17:25:39 AEST 1990

zaphod at madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) in <1659 at madnix.UUCP> writes:
[re: 3B1 monitors]

	Someone mentioned the possibility of using a multisync monitor (are
	they available in monochrome?). Does anyone know anything about the
	CRT controller? Maybe it can be reprogrammed for a cheapo monitor?
	Lots of time to work this out before the supply dries up, but let's
	not wait until it's too late...

Hundreds of stores, catalogs, discount houses, etc. advertise $50-$70 monitors
for use with "Hercules" graphics (720x348) for "IBM-PC"-like systems, with a
choice of paper-white, amber, green, and other phosphors.   Should be NO
problem at all hooking up one of those to the 3B1's video signals; I've been
thinking of doing this myself for two reasons:

1)	I intensely dislike the (present) green phosphor ... the color reminds
	me of something I heard of 30+ years ago when I was a kid: "Goat Vomit
	Green" (contrasted with "Pygmy P*ss Yellow" or "Baby Sh*t Brown" :-),

2)	I'd prefer a 13-15" screen, and (yeah, I can't count :-)

3)	I'd like to hook the video signal into one of those LCD-screens for
	use with an overhead projector for room-viewing of the 3B1 screen's
	display.

I may just try this during the upcoming holidays.  Looking at the video signal
timing, there's NOTHING special about the 3B1's video.  Some eleventy-seven
million "IBM-PC"-type systems also use Hercules graphics monitors.  Just put
a DB-9 connector on the case and plug a video cable into the monitor.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]