Uniquely identifying a user: is it possible?

Greg Comeau comeau at utoday.UUCP
Tue Jan 16 01:08:54 AEST 1990

In article <25932 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>I need to look carefully at what this new program will do
>since I have the distinct impression it's possible a process' entry could
>disappear out from under me while reading /dev/kmem.
>If anyone has suggestions how to handle THAT problem (browsing dynamically
>changing structures), advice would be appreciated; the "ps" program must do
>it, but I don't have sources.

Your worry is proper: entries can disappear out from under you.

'ps' *doesn't* do it though.

It is strictly a snapshot and quite often gets things wrong.
Problem is that without a driver, you are not part of the kernel
and therefore there is nothing you can do about it except zoom around.

And have fun with the guts of your program:  you are assured an
interesting coupla days!
--
Greg, Comeau Computing, 91-34 120th Street, Richmond Hill, NY, 11418
Producers of CC C++, SysAdm columnist for UNIX Today!, Microsoft Systems Journal