UUCP Help

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sun Jan 7 11:53:57 AEST 1990

sean at pattye.lonestar.org (Sean McCollister) in <346 at pattye.lonestar.org> writes

	Well, Thad, I'm looking at page 5-51 of the "AT&T 3B2 Computer UNIX(R)
	System V Release 3.2 Release Notes." There are about 4 paragraphs
	dedicated to "Basic Networking Utilities: Intelligent Modems." In
	addition, there are quite detailed instructions on the use of the "\M"
	and "\m" options, as well as the ",M" subfield for the tty devices, in
	my /usr/lib/uucp/Dialers file.  "UNDOCUMENTED"?  Hardly.

OOPS.  OK, I *DO* have "AT&T UNIX System V Release 3.2 Utilities Release Notes"
(c)1989, ISBN 0-13-944844-6.  And page 5-51 does have the material cited by
Sean.

HOWEVER, neither the Table of Contents nor the non-existent index make note of
BNU upgrades.  Not very obvious!  :-)

Because this problem CAN "bite" other people, I'm including the notes in their
entirety:

" BASIC NETWORKING UTILITIES: Intelligent Modems

	Features have been added to the "/usr/lib/uucp/Dialers" and
"/usr/lib/uucp/Devices" files to prevent problems that occur when using
System 75s, System 85s, Hayes-compatible modems, and other intelligent
modems that do not keep Carrier Detect (CD) high all the time.

Devices: Adding a ",M" to the second field of an entry in the Devices files
	will cause the O_NDELAY flag to be set when the device is opened.
	This prevents BNU software from blocking on the device while waiting
	for CD.  The example below shows how to add the ",M" to a Devices file
	entry for a device connected to an automatic call unit for a Hayes
	modem.

		ACU tty11,M - 1200 hayes \T

Dialers: Adding "\M" before the chat script in a Dialers file entry will set
	CLOCAL, preventing any change in the CD lead from resetting the
	state of the device.  Once the conversation is established, "\m"
	will clear CLOCAL.  This will allow BNU to again monitor changes in
	CD (for example, to notice if the line drops).

	The example below shows how to add "\M" and "\m" to an entry for a
	Hayes modem in the Dialers file.

	hayes "=,-," "" \M\dAT\r\c OK\r \EATDT\T\r\c CONNECT \m\c

	Note: for some devices, adding a "\p" after the "\M" may be
	necessary.
"

Sean continues:

	When dealing with an unsupported product, you have to look for the
	information you need in unusual places.  I got the impression from your
	article that you didn't look very hard.

This morning's 12K posting details how and where I sought information.  As I
stated before, I have over 15 linear feet of bookshelf space consumed by the
latest AT&T docs, and I did READ everything on the subject that was indexed
and cross-referenced; the "Utilities Release Notes" was the only reference I
didn't read because nothing in its index suggested BNU updates were included
therein.  For this "clue", I THANK YOU VERY MUCH!  And I hope my "reprint" of
the several pertinent paragraphs above helps other people.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]