Uniquely identifying a user: is it possible?

Scott S. Bertilson ssb at quest.UUCP
Fri Jan 12 13:18:06 AEST 1990

jay at banzai.PCC.COM (Jay Schuster) writes:

>If there was some way of getting your tty group ID, you could search
>through utmp and find its pid there.  But I don't think there's any
>wany of finding your tty group id without searching through /dev/kmem.
On my SVR2 Altos, there *IS* a "getpgrp".  It would seem to me
that one could grab that and scan the "utmp" file to find what
port the process is on.  If the process has detached via "setpgrp",
it would seem that your "utmp" entry doesn't apply anymore anyway.
(I'd look at my 3b1, but it's at home..)
--

Scott S. Bertilson   ...uunet!rosevax!rose3!quest!ssb
			scott at poincare.geom.umn.edu