Service Manual

Roger Abrahams roger at booth.uucp
Tue Jan 16 11:44:22 AEST 1990

In article <2182 at becker.UUCP> bdb at becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>An information sheet in the "AT&T UNIX PC Model 7300 Owner's Manual"
>gives a list of documentaion, among which is
>
>	AT&T UNIX PC		528-602-0301S
>	Model 7300
>	Service Manual
>
>Is this the same manual being currently sold for $100 by
>one of our illustrious participants to this newsgroup?
>
>If not, what is it?
>
>Thanks for any info,
>--
>  ,,,,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
>w \$$/	 Internet: bdb at becker.UUCP, bruce at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
> `/c/-e	 BitNet:   BECKER at HUMBER.BITNET
>_/  >_	 "Money is the root of all money" - Adam

Being one of the turkeys who paid $150 for the "Service Manual", believe me
what you want is the "Reference Manual", which is what Lenny has, and
was $450 from AT&T.

Okay, when I bought the "Service Manual", I was on Version 2.0 of Unix
for the PC7300/3B1.  At that time it did have some timely information,
such as the pinouts and signals of the serial an parallel ports.  This
was later included in the owners manuals of later versions of the
system.  On the whole, the information in the "Service Manual" should
have ALLWAYS been included with the owner information.

The "Service Manual" has sections for a very general description of
the system, shows you how to use the "diagnostics disk", has a
section on troubleshooting (most things lead to "replace motherboard"),
tells you how to disassemble the unit, has a VERY brief parts list and
has a 2 pages on monitor adjustments.

All in all this book is about 120 pages long, yielding a price of better
than a buck a page, including the Table of Contents and the Index...

						- Roger