Breaking into a 3B2/310

Jeff Hakner hak at cooper.cooper.EDU
Thu Jan 18 12:43:11 AEST 1990

in article <24861 at gryphon.COM>, ttg at gryphon.COM (Ted Garrett) says:

> Sorry, guy, but you are going to have to obtain a distribution set of unix
> and do a re-install from the firmware. (This is because shutdown can only be
> run by root and un the root directory).  Once this is accomplished, you'll be
> in seventh heaven.

HOLD ON!  Before you kill everything by doing this, try using magic mode.
I forget the exact details, as I've only needed it rarely, but the idea
is: you power on the machine.  At the right time, I think during
diagnostics, hit the reset button in the back.  The cursor will space
forward twice.  Type in the firmware password, which, unless it was
changed, defaults to "mcp".  Enter nothing for file to execute, and
then select the floppy to boot from.  At some point (here's where my
memory fails me) you get to a menu that has entries like "install upgrade",
"dual-disk upgrade", or somesuch.  Type "magic mode".  The system
reponds "poof!"  It then allows you to type "shell" and get a root,
stand-alone shell.

>From there, you'll have to mount the hard-disk root file system
and use ed to remove the passwd for root.  Sync up and

I'm sorry I can't give all the details right now, but its
getting a little late and I'm getting sleepy.  The point is, look into
this method.  If you need more info, I could help.  Also,
Stephen J. Friedl of V-systems wrote a good article about this stuff.
Maybe he's watching now??!!