Fix for system BOOT date&time, all SysV systems

Ron Wilson rlw at ttardis.UUCP
Thu Jan 4 02:33:04 AEST 1990

In article <4392 at cuuxb.ATT.COM>, fmcgee at cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6561110~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~) writes:
>In article <25468 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>>Fix for system BOOT date & time, all SysV systems --
>>
>>In the absence of the following "fixes", it "appears" the boot date&time is
>>derived from the last update date&time on /etc/inittab, even if one's /etc/rc
>>script has command(s) to set the present date&time.
>
>Don't know about your systems, but on our systems here (running 386 Unix
>Sys V Rel 3.2.1 and 3.2.2) who -r shows the correct boot time.
>
>Both have inittabs dating back to 1989, and both show a boot date of
>Jan 2, with the correct times.
>
>Maybe you're referring to Unix PC Unix ?

On my UNIX-PC (system software rel 3.51), the boot time displayed by who
is derived from the interrupt driven software clock.

After powering up the machine, the software clock is set to whatever time it
(would have) reported just before shutdown followed by power down.

If I simply reboot (without powering down and back up), It only looses about
20 or 30 seconds.