adding a VGA to the 6300+

Ron Ford Jackson jacksonR at batman.moravian.EDU
Mon Jan 8 18:49:46 AEST 1990

	a friend of mine has a 6300+ and wants to add a VGA
board.  he was told this could be accomplished by merely
disabling the existing display controller.

sound too easy? :-)

ok, the display controller is supposedly disabled by removing
the 7400 at position H-6.  pin 6 is then tied low (pin 6 to 7),
and the remaining outputs are tied high (pins 3, 8, 11, to 14).
it's a Rev P4 board.

his objective was to avoid purchasing the bus converter kit.
of course, it doesn't seem to work.  or, at least... perhaps
there is more involved?  could anyone tell us what else needs
to be done?  i have some theories; but, they're all real scary.

also, the VGA board is currently set to 8-bit.  and, it appears
that the 16-bit expansion bus on the 6300+ is not the standard
16-bit AT expansion bus.  since we have been unable to locate
the pin-outs for the 6300+ bus, we don't know the difference.

could some kind soul please enlighten us?

		thanks,

			ron jackson

CSNET / INTERNET:  jacksonR at moravian.edu
BITNET:  jacksonR%moravian.edu at relay.cs.net
UUCP:   ...!rutgers!liberty!batman!jacksonR