How effective is a V30 on an XT (8086) clone?

Anthony Olejnik tony at scotty.dccs.upenn.edu
Fri Jan 19 07:08:07 AEST 1990

I have an AT&T 6300 (8086 based XT clone) that I would like to speed up.
I presently get a performance index of 1.8 (as determined by using
Norton Utilities' System Information program - si.com).

I'm thinking about replacing the 8086 with a V30 chip.  The ads that I've
seen claim an "up to 30%" speed increase.

Is this really the case?  Will I get a performance index of (1.8 x 130%)
2.34?

Are there any other ways (without replacing the CPU board, RAM, Disks) that
will improve the speed of my machine?

What about those small boards that JDR MicroDevices sells that change the
clock speed?  Will they cause problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--tony olejnik
  University of Pennsylvania
  Data Communications and Computing Services