Breaking into a 3B2/310

David Elliott dce at smsc.sony.com
Sun Jan 14 03:36:26 AEST 1990

We recently purchased a used 3B2/310 to use as a comparison machine for
our port of SVR4.  The machine has not been used in a while, and it's
missing a few cables and adapters, but it does come up.  The problem is
that the default init state is set to 2, and the previous owners have
no idea what the root password is.  I made some educated guesses, but
that's futile.

We are also missing the manuals, so we can't RTFM to find out how to
force it into single-user mode.

Can anyone out there help me get this machine to a state where we can
change the root password?

I found a diskette labelled "Floppy Key", but booting with it in didn't
seem to make a difference.

--
David Elliott
dce at smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce