problem using tar under system V

Fariborz "Skip" Tavakkolian fst at gtenmc.UUCP
Thu Jan 4 06:06:16 AEST 1990

In article <3456 at cbnewsl.ATT.COM> wtr at moss.ATT.COM (Bill Rankin) writes:
>In article <368 at gtenmc.UUCP> fst at gtenmc.UUCP (Fariborz Skip Tavakkolian) writes:
>>In article <1295 at amethyst.math.arizona.edu> mat at zeus.opt-sci.arizona.edu (Mat Watson) writes:

[A lot of stuff about tar problem and ULIMIT deleted]
>also, at least for the vaxen at work running SysV rel3.1 the block size
>is for 512 byte blocks.  did this change for the 3.2 release?
>>P.S., I am working on a VAX 8810 with 128 MB of main memory (RAM) running
>>SVR3.1 and close to a GAZILION MB of disk; the  ULIMIT is set to 2048, makes
>>no sense whatsoever ...
>so get your SA to raise it.  my 3b1 at home has a ulimit of 2**31 (-1)
>(and i only have 67Meg of disk space. :-(

About raising the ulimit on the SVR3.1 on the VAXEN, well I am glad you
brought it up.  Our SVR3.1 comes from DEC.  Our SA can't do what you
recommend, since the ULIMIT is apparently hard coded to 2048, even when you
set the tunable ULIMIT to what you want (I don't have all the gory details).
(BTW: Blocks on this system are 1024 bytes. Sdb crashes the system, using
STREAMS crashes the system; and lately I noticed that sneezing crashes the
system :-) )

>BTW: gazillion is spelled with two L's ;-)

I knew that :-)

>Bill Rankin				email address:	att!moss!wtr

Skip