News archiver for 3b1 tape drives

Vernon C. Hoxie vern at zebra.UUCP
Sat Jan 6 22:30:13 AEST 1990

Hi:
	I have put together some shell scripts and 'c' programs to save
and to write to the 3b1 tape drive.  This set of scripts saves
designated news groups until a sufficient number have accumulated to
fill one section of a 3b1 tape.  A contents file is then generated from
the "Subject" line of the articles.  This articles are compressed and
transferred to tape along with the contents file.

	This allows the user to retrieve an article or group of articles
by subject rather than the news group article number.

	Included in the set of scripts are conversion routines for
changing the articles on existing tapes to the compressed format with a
contents file.

	These scripts are being posted today to unix-pc.sources.  If you
are interested getting a copy of these scripts and do not have access to
that news group, send me mail and we will see about another means of
getting them to you.

vern
--
Vernon C. Hoxie		       {ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!zebra!vern
3975 W. 29th Ave.					voice: 303-477-1780