corrupted passwd file

Lee Sailer UH2 at psuvm.psu.edu
Thu Jul 19 06:57:09 AEST 1990

In article <90199.144140UH2 at psuvm.psu.edu>, Lee Sailer <UH2 at psuvm.psu.edu> says:

>In other words, NO MATTER what account I try to login (root, uucp, lp,
>sailer)  I get back the login incorrect message.
>
>My guess is that I somehow corrupted the passwd file.  Oops.  I haven't had

The answer is to power the machine up with the 1st disk of the
foundation set in the floppy.  Then, after about two minutes, it asks
you if you want to install the software, break out with <del> (i.e.,
ctl-break).

This leaves you in single user mode.  Mount /dev/root and off you go.

DON"T do what I did 8-(  When it asked bme if I wanted to format
the disk, I said "NO!!!!"  Seemed safe.  So, it didn't format the disk.
This is good.  It did however create a new file system.  This is bad.

Am I wrong, or did this create all new inodes, and have the effect of
obliterating all my unbacked up stuff?

                                      lee