ESDI cards and memory for AT&T 6386 Olivetti boxes

Colonel Panic aland at infmx.UUCP
Fri Jul 13 11:12:40 AEST 1990

This is a *corrected* version of a cancelled posting; please ignore
the previous one if it happened to get to your site.

Is there anything strange about the 16 MHz 6386's with regard to
disk controllers, etc.?  Can I replace the stock controller with
a WD1007A-WA2 ESDI controller and ESDI drive(s)?  Is the floppy
controller on the motherboard and would thus require disabling of the
floppy control on the WD1007A-WA2?  Or, are there other pitfalls?
What drive types are supported by the CMOS?  Do they include support
for the Micropolis 135  and 300 MB drives used in the Intel boxes?

Also, with regard to memory: what is the total motherboard capacity?
What is the appropriate memory expansion board, and what is its
capacity?  I have seen 3rd party boards advertised; does anybody
have any experience?  (I am familiar with the Intel-built line, but not
this).  Do the boards take standard 1 MB x 9 SIMMs?

I don't have the machine myself, so please forgive my ignorance.
Thanks in advance for any info.

--
Alan Denney # Informix # aland at informix.com # {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "These tests will have no effect on your grades.  They will merely
  determine your future social status and financial success, if any."