Help with tape cardrige in 3B2/400

Art Gentry gentry at kcdev.UUCP
Sun Jul 8 10:49:29 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul5.195559.6587 at agate.berkeley.edu> ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu writes:
>I having problems with the tape drive in a 3B2/400, actually the drive
>in unusable.
>
> [symptoms description deleted for brevity]
>
>Can any kind soul give me a hint if this hardware or software related?
>Is there an easy fix I could try ?

What the error is telling you is the driver cannot "open" the drive.
This is typically caused by one of the following:

1) tape is write protected
2) tape is defective
3) kernel or device file is pointing to the wrone major/minor device
4) tape drive is defective

If when you attempt to write to or read from the tape, the access light
comes on, then forget #3;  look for a protected tape or defective unit.

Art

--
| R. Arthur Gentry     AT&T Communications     Kansas City, MO     64106 |
| Email: gentry at kcdev.uucp          ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry       |