Amazing Ginsu UNIX-PC Threatens Sepukku!!!

Steve Simmons scs at vax3.iti.org
Wed Jul 11 22:54:35 AEST 1990

Well!  After several days of low offers and questions about "would
you sell me the combo card?" "would you sell me the 2010?" "would
you sell me the 3b1 top?", my Amazing Ginsu UNIX-PC has offered to
commit honorable suicide and be sold as parts!  Geez, what a guy.

Here's the deal:

I've received some lowball offers for the whole package, and a lot
of inquiries about individual pieces.  Below is a list of parts.
You can buy one, you can buy all (asking $1200 for all, make an
offer).  I'll add up the offers on July 21, and if the sum of parts
offers exceeds the offer for the whole, that's how it's sold.  Parts
marked with a '*' are not currently installed in the system (ie, are
my current spares or extras).

If you're interested in the whole package (or just need a good
giggle) the original ad is included at the bottom.

The parts list:

    1.	7300 motherboard -- 68010, 1200 onboard modem, .5MB
	RAM (expandable to 2MB if you can solder).  P3..P5
	revision, never modified.  One serial port, one parallel
	port, 2 RJ-11 jacks (one voice, one modem).  Clock
	battery expired, replacable if you can solder.

    2*.	WD-2010 disk controller chip.  Will not support #8, below.

    3.	7300 bottomcase and frame.  One modification -- cable access
	holes made while temporarily using external drive.  Includes
	system bus.

    4*.	7300 monitor and topcase (for full-height hard drive)

    5.	3b1 monitor and topcase (for full-height hard drive)

    6*.	7300 power supply

    7*.	20MB ST-506 half-height disk (original)

    8.	71MB ST-506 full-height disk, 28ms access.  11 heads.  Requires
	odd formatting/partitioning for UNIX (already done).  Has a
	large number of bad blocks near track 3.

    9*.	Complete 2.0 software kit, including base system, extended
	utilities, development system, GSS graphics, and manuals.

   10.	Complete 3.51a software kit, including base system, extended
	utilities, development system, GSS graphics, and manuals.
	Manuals are 8 1/2x11 copies.

   11.	Combo card (2 serial ports, 1.5MB RAM).

   12.	Mouse.

   13.	Keyboard.

   14.  5 1/4 floppy drive, low density.

    ----------------------- original ad -------------------------

	For Sale -- Amazing Ginsu UNIX-PC!!!!!

What would you pay for an experienced, proven home-performing
UNIX system of your very own?  Before you answer, just take a
look at this incredible list of features:

Complete UNIX-PC hardware, including 68010 processor, monitor,
keyboard, mouse, floppy and hard drive, 1200-baud internal modem,
serial and parallel ports, and all the fixings.  This machine started
life as a 7300, but has now been upgraded with several 3b1 components.
Current disk is ~43MB, system has 2MB RAM with Combo Card which also
gives you 2 extra serial ports.

Fabulous UNIX-PC software from AT&T, including 3.51 operating system,
the elusive calendar, development utilities, extended editors, text
processing system, graphics drivers, and *MANUALS* for all of same!

But wait, there's more:

A 'ls -C' list of public-domain software longer than your screen,
including gcc, rcs, config, C news (working!), nn, pathalias, elm,
faces, many FSF utilities, yaman, perl, afio, month, spiff, and
more.

And what about manuals for all the PD stuff?  But of course!  Many
are supplied both in on-line and paper form.  Better yet, the manuals
are 8.5 by 11, rather than the wimpy original size!!!!!

Ready to make an offer?  Hold on, there's more to come:

If you act now, we will throw in some SPARE HARDWARE!!!!!!!!  Yes,
a complete replacement monitor (7300 style case), 7300 power
supply, and original 20MB disk are your absolutely FREE if you
order now.  Plus a WD-2010 chip that won't work with this drive!!!!

But what happens if you find bugs?  No problem!  ALL the source
for the PD utilities are included *free* on floppies.  We will
supply you 3 (count 'em) 3 ring binders full of source code at
NO CHARGE for the floppies.  We'll even throw in enough disks to
do TWO COMPLETE backups!!!!!!

Does this system have potential?  Absolutely!  Consider that
this is an unmodified 7300 motherboard.  That means that if
you (or a trusted friend) are handy with a soldering iron, you
can:

 o Increase the drive capacity by 37% by enabling heads 9-11;

 o Add a second drive;

 o Increase the motherboard memory to 2MB, giving you 3.5MB;

 o Replace the expired battery

We'll even throw in the shipping!  In original containers, yet!

Would you give $10,000 for this?  $5000?  Well how about the incredibly
low price of $1200 --or-- Best Offer???  I'll even throw in a few hours
of free advice on managing the thing once you get it.  Write now to
scs at lokkur.dexter.mi.us { ...sharkey!lokkur!scs } or if you're incredibly
anxious or bored you can call me at home 7PM-10PM Eastern Time M-F or
weekends at 313-426-8981, or 9-6M-F at the office, 313-769-4086.  Buy
now, the quantity (1) is limited!!!

Offer not valid in Lower Slobbovia.