Modem, It there a way to use auto answer

Ron Wilson rlw at ttardis.UUCP
Sun Jul 22 10:34:05 AEST 1990

In article <1812 at sud509.ed.ray.com>, sardella at tdw254.ed.ray.com writes:
>I Have a 3b1 with the telephone manager and extra rs232 port.  It it possible
>using the Telephone manager with the internal modem to have auto answer
>(when a computer calls you up and you can log in to it).  If not with the internal
>modem is it possible with an external modem.
># Norman "STORMIN" Sardella                              #

You don't need the telephone manager to auto-answer - only to use the terminal
emulater (actually, you can also use cu and avoid the telephone manager
alltogether)

What you DO need is to substitute a program to hold the line for the getty
normally specified in /etc/inittab.  This program would do everything that
getty does EXCEPT prompt for a login and exec'ing login.  It would, however,
notify you of the incoming call and then quietly sit there holding the
line open until you either kill it or the calling modem hangs up.

It IS, however, easier to do this with an external modem: just get into the
terminal emulator as though you where going to manually issue dialing commands
to the modem and wait for the call.  When it comes, just give the modem the
command to answer (on a Hayes compatable modem, the command is ATA)

"We were wondering when somebody would discover that one."
	- The response of a customer support rep to a customer's phoned in
	  bug report (name of company with held to protect the guilty).

                                     iwblsys\
rlw at ttardis	    uunet!rel.mi.org!cfctech!ttardis!rlw
                sharkey.cc.umich.edu/