Death of various 3B things

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Tue Jul 10 02:56:43 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun29.182049.23255 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

>My favorite use for a 3B1 is to keep one around to point to and
>smile when an AT&T salesman tries to tell me why I should buy
>something else from them (software support, what's that?).

	As a marketing case history, yes the 3B1/7300 is a sorry tale.
	And yet, the system remains one of the more innovative of its era.
	While Sun and Apollo were offering expensive (and laudable)
	workstations for the techies, here was a windowing UNIX box for
	the "rest of us" (no apologies to Apple!) supporting a development
	system in 1 (one!) MB on a 40 MB drive.