Priam Drive questions

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Mon Jul 30 08:30:19 AEST 1990

schafer at peyote.cactus.org (Raymond C. Schafer) in <1737 at peyote.cactus.org>
writes:

	Does anyone know the details of getting a Priam Model 519
	drive to work in a unix pc?  It is a 15 head 1224 cylinders
	MFM / RLL.

	... I'm running a 3b1 2meg with
	a WD2010bpl04 controller.  ( The controller works well
	with my seagate and also the miniscribe 3085.)  I'm using
	the new diagnostic disk.

	...[other material deleted]...

The one item "missing" from the above description is whether or not the
P5.1 upgrade has been installed; the P5.1 (any of the three variations)
permits using a drive possessing more than 8 heads.

Without a detailed listing of what the UNIXPC reports as a problem using
the Priam, I can only conjecture the absence of the P5.1 being the culprit.

For reference, the 3 variations of ``P5.1'' are:

1) simple PAL and some jumpers (e.g. from Brian Botton),

2) ICUS 2-drive enhancement (Lenny Tropiano and Gil Kloepfer) with common 74LS
   and 26LS31/32 parts, and

3) John Milton's HD2 board.

The drive geometry (1224 cyls, 15 heads) Raymond quotes for the Priam drive
are the same as a Maxtor XT2190 which is known to work without any problems
using P5.1 and a WD2010.

Please note, though, the UNIXPC/3B1 does NOT have "2,7 RLL" capability, you
must format (and use) MFM at 17 sectors/track.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]