OBM Auto-answer disabling (SUMMARY+MORE Q's)

Ron Wilson rlw at ttardis.UUCP
Wed Jul 4 09:30:48 AEST 1990

In article <482 at trux.UUCP>, car at trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
>In article <1990Jul01.113820.18646 at uhura.neoucom.EDU>, wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>> Much of the software that uses OBM calls the programs
>> /usr/bin/geton.sh and /usr/bin/getoff.sh.  As you might guess, the
>> first is a shell program that calls /usr/bin/setgetty to enable a
>> getty, while the latter diables the getty.  Setgetty edits the
>> /etc/inittab file (A real no-no in my book!) and and calls init to
>> mark re-read the inittab.
>
>[set new_to_3b1 on]
>
>I found that phtoggle, geton.sh, etc... where only changing the first
>character of the /etc/inittab line that contains ph0 from a ' ' to a ':'
>or back again. (In addition to creating/removing /usr/spool/uucp/LCK..ph0).
>
>Unfortunately, this only had a temporary effect - after a UUCP conversation
>I found the /etc/inittab back the way it was and a getty on the line again.

I have never had this occure on my stock Unix 3.51 - once the
setgetty h1 O is done, the getty stays off - maybe you should only use
setgetty

>Does the OBM understand Hayes commands? The Hayes command "ATS0=0" would
>tell a Hayes compatible modem not to ever answer the phone.

No. All modem control is via ioctl calls.

>> As far as surviving a call-wainting tone blitz, the solution is
>> central-office dependent.  In some areas, dialing *70 and *71 can
>> be used to control call waiting.
>
>My call-waiting disable sequence also has a '*' in it. However, will the
>'*' be properly recognized by the routines which generate the dialing tones?
>I.e,: will '*70,15551212' as a dialing sequence work? (This is a valid
>Hayes compatible sequence).

There should not be a roblem here.

>Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)

- Ron

"We were wondering when somebody would discover that one."
	- The response of a customer support rep to a customer's phoned in
	  bug report (name of company with held to protect the guilty).

                                     iwblsys\
rlw at ttardis	    uunet!rel.mi.org!cfctech!ttardis!rlw
                sharkey.cc.umich.edu/