106 mip PC

Daniel Alan Fleming alanf at daysinns.UUCP
Tue Jul 24 22:41:52 AEST 1990

In article <12487 at netcom.UUCP> jbreeden at netcom.uucp (John Breeden) writes:
>Does anyone know any details about AT&T's Starserver E? The lit I have
>says it's a true symmetrical, multiprocessor 33mhz 486 (4 processors).
>They claim a MIP rating of 106MIPS (yea!, I know. That's faster than
>a 3090!), and they are shipping it!

Well, I don't know what details you are looking for.  I have looked over
the literature as well and the stats look impressive.  While I was at
Comdex '90 I dropped by the AT&T booth and looked over the Starserver.
It is apparently being released with a number of different configurations
with 1 to 4 486 chips.  It is running Unix SysV 4.0.  (I believe this is
the first AT&T machine to be sold with it.)  They claimed it could handle
up to 200 PC's on Starlan 10 or 75 users interactively.  I looked good
but is larger than the 6386E PC server.  I understand it was released at
the same time as AT&T Rhapsody their windows/new wave environment and
was not mentioned in its brochures.  The prices I heard seem pretty
amazing for the power, but a little much for a PC server, even one this
powerful.  I imagine it is based strickly at large companies or
universities.  (Who else needs that kind of power?)
Hope this did some good.

- Alan

Daniel Alan Fleming                     {uunet}!gatech.edu!daysinns!alanf
4203 Buford Hwy NE                      Days Inns of America
Apt B-7                                 2751 Buford Hwy N.E.
Atlanta, GA 30345:  (404)/634-8014      Atlanta, GA 30324: (404)/728-4498