3b1, sc w/shared libs

John R Ruckstuhl Jr ruck at sphere.UUCP
Fri Jul 13 07:49:12 AEST 1990

Recent references to "sc" (public-domain spreadsheet software) in this
newsgroup suggest there may be experts who can advise me.

When I attempt to run "sc", I get a 2.5 Mb core dump accompanied by the
message: "Memory fault - core dumped"
I know little about software and hardware and nothing about debuggers,
but I tried to "sdb" so that this article would have at least *some*
information for those that might try to help me.  Of course I do not
know if this is relevant.
	pc: 0x8f884()
	pc: 0x8f884()
	pc: 0x8f884()
	  [... bijillions of lines deleted ...]
	: address 0x8f882

Another interesting side effect of the "sc" failure is that within that
window, it seems the escape key is remapped to *2* escapes.  I remember
that there was discussion about how effect occurs when one runs "tetrix".
Was there ever an explanation of the effect, or a patch?

I think the failure is related to my attempt to cleverly use the
libraries on the UNIX PC (without knowing how).
I modified the Makefile as:
	0a1,2
	> SHAREDLIB = /lib/crt0s.o /lib/shlib.ifile

	57a60,64
	> # AT&T UNIX PC (3b1/7300)
	> CFLAGS = -O -DSYSIII
	> LDFLAGS =
	> LIB= -lm -lcurses -ltermcap

	69c76,77
	< 	$(CC) ${CFLAGS} ${LDFLAGS} ${OBJS} ${LIB} -o $(name)
	---
	> 	$(LD) $(LDFLAGS) -r $(SHAREDLIB) -o temp.o $(OBJS)
	> 	$(LD) $(LDFLAGS) temp.o $(LIB) -o $@
	75,76c83,84
	< 	$(CC) ${CFLAGS} -o p$(name) psc.c
	< 	cp p$(name) $(EXDIR)/p$(name)
	---
	> 	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c psc.c
	> 	$(LD) $(LDFLAGS) $(SHAREDLIB) -o p$(name) psc.o

It compiled and linked okay! :)
Maybe someone will see something obvious from the above... "Hey John, it
doesn't make sense to link in both curses & termcap libraries."

If you have compiled & installed "sc" successfully on the UNIX PC, and
have a Makefile that takes advantage of shared libs, please mail a copy
to me.

The sources were uucp'ed from skeeve 11/22/89
    > -rw-r--r--  1 arnold  users     97551 Mar 26  1989 sc6.1.shar.Z
    This software was is described by Bob Bond (rgb at sequent) in the
    file "README" as the following:
    "This is a much modified version of the public domain spread sheet
    sc, posted several years ago by Mark Weiser as vc, originally by
    James Gosling."
    Files in this package with RCS identification are identified as
    Revision 6.1, except "help.c", which is identified as Revision 6.2.

sphere uses release 3.51 of foundation set, and uses release 3.5 utilities.

Thank you for any suggestions.
John R Ruckstuhl, Jr	sphere!ruck, ruck%sphere at hp-col.col.hp.com