Access to osu-cis for UNIX PC Archives, by Telebit, v.32, or 24/1200

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.ICUS.COM
Mon Jul 30 08:07:04 AEST 1990

I think I get the question, "Where can I get ..." more than any other
question posed to me.  I don't have the facilities to keep megabytes of
archives online (unless someone donates some Maxtor 2190's, more modems and
more phone lines) :-)

Ohio-State University (osu-cis) has been the "official" place for UNIX PC
Archives for quite some time.   What's great about this site is that it
offers access via dialup uucp with every variety of modem imaginable at
every variety of speed.  It also provides Internet access for anonymous
ftp retrieval.

Since Brant Cheikes resigned from the Ohio State University UNIX PC Archive
maintainer, nothing has been updated since June 10, 1990.  I know there
were several people who said they would take over his work, but that was
the last we heard from them.  If no one "stands" up and takes over it,
and no one has any objections, I will offer my services and maintain
the archives ...  Let me know folks!

Anyhow, for those who ask the 1 million dollar question, here's how you get
to the archives and here's what you do FIRST once you get there!

|===============================

|===================
|Most items exist on osu-cis for distribution purposes in compressed
|tar form, exactly what you find on the indicated hosts in the
|specified origin files.  Most items are cut into pieces for the sake
|of uucp sanity.  This separation helps if your uucp session fails
|midway through a conversation; you need restart only with the part
|that failed, rather than the whole beast.  The pieces are typically
|named with a root word, followed by letter pairs like "aa" and "bj,"
|meaning that the pieces are all named with the root word, followed by
|a dash and the suffixes indicated, using the letters inclusive between
|the two limits.  All pieces but the last are 100,000 bytes long, and
|the fragmentary last piece has some smaller size.

[...]

Anonymous FTP transfer from Internet is available at:

$ ftp cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu 		-or-
$ ftp 128.146.8.62

Once you add the appropriate Systems entry (or ftp to osu), retrieve
the file ~/att7300/README.Z and ~/att7300/STORE/README.Z  (or if you're
ftp'ing cd into /pub/att7300 [and /pub/att7300/STORE] and retrieve
README.Z )

Issue these commands, it helps ...

$ uucp -m osu-cis!~/att7300/README.Z !~/README.Z
$ uucp -m osu-cis!~/att7300/STORE/README.Z !~/STORE_README.Z

These two files explain what's available in the UNIX PC archives and
"THE STORE!" UNIX PC archives.   As you can see, from what Karl said above,
you can retrieve much more than just UNIX PC software here ...

For more information on what's there, get a directory listing ...

$ uucp -m osu-cis!~/ls-lR.Z !~/

Over a Trailblazer (19.2K), or v.32 (9600) modems the file transfer times are
rather trivial ...

Happy snarfing,
Lenny

--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny at icus.ICUS.COM |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,sbcs,hombre,rayssd}!icus!lenny   attmail!icus!lenny  |