Help with tape cardrige in 3b2/400

Dick Smith dsmith at csusac.csus.edu
Mon Jul 9 02:08:22 AEST 1990

I would like to add to the suggestions from Art Gentry.

>In article <1990Jul5.195559.6587 at agate.berkeley.edu> ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu writes:
>>I having problems with the tape drive in a 3B2/400, actually the drive
>>in unusable.
>>
>> [symptoms description deleted for brevity]
>>
>>Can any kind soul give me a hint if this hardware or software related?
>>Is there an easy fix I could try ?
>>
>What the error is telling you is the driver cannot "open" the drive.
>This is typically caused by one of the following:
>
>1) tape is write protected
>2) tape is defective
>3) kernel or device file is pointing to the wrone major/minor device
>4) tape drive is defective
>
>If when you attempt to write to or read from the tape, the access light
>comes on, then forget #3;  look for a protected tape or defective unit.
>
>Art

I had the same error messages and after trying several tapes I looked
at the heads and descovered them to be covered with oxide. After cleaning
everything worked perfectly.

dick
--

 __    ___      UUCP     : {ucdavis!}csusac!dsmith
|__/  ____)     USnail   : Cal State Univ, 6000 J St, Sacramento, CA 95819-2694