fortran compilier wanted

Richard H. Gumpertz rhg at cpsolv.CPS.COM
Sun Jul 22 22:28:44 AEST 1990

In article <RVS439G at xds7.ferranti.com> harter at ficc.ferranti.com (ron harter)
writes:
>I recently purchased a used 3b1 machine. I loaded up the development set
>and discovered much to my dismay there was no fortran compilier.

I have occasionally run f2c here.  It compiled just fine (after modifying the
Makefile and one minor patch to zsqrt.c in the fortran run-time library) with
the stock 3.51 tools.  Since I compile with shcc (uses shared library
automatically), I also had to set the compile-time definitiom that disables
its special malloc library (which appears not to work together with the Unix
PC shared library malloc).

The translator understands f77 and produces C source.  One can write a script
to combine f2c and cc into a single command if one is really programming in
fortran.  Such a script comes with the package but is rather primitive; I
improved it slightly but it still needs work.

For more information, send the message "help" to netlib at research.att.com.  If
there is sufficient demand, I suppose I could post the sources (with my
patches) to unix-pc.sources (after checking the copyright issues with the
authors).