Gcc for 3b2?

Greg A. Woods woods at robohack.UUCP
Fri May 4 11:15:41 AEST 1990

I was tempted to leave this followed-up to gnu.gcc, but every time
anyone talks about these kinds of things there, rms gets upset.
Besides, it won't do much good anyway, unless someone has a few spare
3b2's for FSF to make it worth their while to discuss these matters.

In article <262 at gagme.chi.il.us> greg at gagme.UUCP (Gregory Gulik) writes:
> In article <26160 at princeton.Princeton.EDU> tr at samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) writes:
> >Has gcc been ported to the 3b2?  If not, is there a free C compiler
> >that accepts ANSI C syntax?
>
> I asked that question a few months ago, and all I got
> was a few replies that some people started working on a port, but never
> got around to finishing it.

One was likely me....

> But anyway, I really would like to see gcc for the 3B2, so if there
> is sufficient interest, I suggest that we get a group of people together
> to work on a port to the WE32000 processor.  C'mon, it can't possibly
> be THAT hard!!

It's not compilers, nor the we32000, which are hard to understand (the
we32000 is actually a piece of cake for a compiler writer).  I
have to use GNU cpp (cccp, 1.35) to process a library.  It works fine
on our 3b1's and 386 at work, but I can't get it to even touch my
stdio.h, which is mostly the same as the one on the 386, especially on
the lines it's blowing up on.  I.e. it's the GNU code which is hard to
work with.  In some ways it's OK, but when you come up against
something rms hasn't, you could be in for a long haul.

I'm still hoping to make it to the Anehiem Usenix/90 for the GCC
tutorial, supposedly to be taught by rms, but funding and free time
are hard to come by these days.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{robohack,gate,eci386,tmsoft,ontmoh}.UUCP
+1 416 443-1734 [h]   +1 416 595-5425 [w]   VE3-TCP   Toronto, Ontario; CANADA