Win/TCP, Serial port, 3.51m, etc

Bill Mayhew wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU
Mon May 28 14:50:33 AEST 1990

Hmmm... Win/TCP interacts with the serial port.

I noticed that serial port performance with 3.51m was regularly
lower than what I got with 3.51.  I use HDB and a Trailblazer Plus
on my machine.  With 3.51m, I only got about 950 char/sec
throughputs on compressed news (no compression in the modem).
Swapping back to the 3.51 kernel, my transfers went back to about
1390 char/sec.

Other things interact with the serial port.  I noticed that running
the Voice Power daemon with 3.51 made the performance on the serial
port drop too.  I have the Voice Power board in the middle slot,
with no other boards (2 meg RAM, 67 meg HDU).  The load on the
system wasn't very high -- maybe 0.05, but just running the daemon
caused about a 30% drop in the uucp xferstats.  My solution was to
switch off the daemon, because I don't need it for what I do; since
that worked, I never pursued the issue to see if using a different
slot would matter.

The comments about the 3b1 Win/TCP aren't too surprising.  I've had
to deal with Win/TCP - Eunice under VMS and found Win/TCP to be
rather aggrivating in that environment, to say the least.

==Bill==
--

Bill Mayhew  Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    216-325-2511