vertically-mounted floppies

Mark Dapoz mdapoz at hybrid.UUCP
Thu May 31 13:56:25 AEST 1990

In article <23640 at rphroy.UUCP> rhaar at rcsac1.UUCP (Bob Haar CS50) writes:
>In article <1990May28.010513.3392 at hybrid.UUCP> mdapoz at hybrid.UUCP (Mark Dapoz) writes:
>>For those of you that were at the 3b1 BOF at the last usenix, you probably
>>saw the case I designed for my 3b1.  In my case, I mounted the drives (a 5.25"
>>and 3.5") vertically in it.
>
>How about posting a description of this new case? I, for one, would be
>interested in re-packaging my 7300 and would like to discuss some
>of the options.

Ok, I have the plans in PostScript format so I'll build a shar file and
post them separately.

>I am planning to build some custom furniture for my study to include
>my UNIX-pc and printer. I would like to get the main body of the
>UNIX-pc off the desk top.

So did I, except I only went as far as moving it off to the filing cabinet
beside my desk.  I suppose with long enough cables you could move it to the
floor.

>1) Can the monitor be removed from the case and run via some extension
>cable/ Any noise problems with this? Alternatively, can the video
>output be run to a composite video monitor?

I took the monitor off the main unit and now have it sitting on my desk.  I
just used the existing cable that was there except I built a little extention
cable to allow me to plug the monitor into the case instead of the motherboard.
The extension cable is only a few centimeters long so it didn't add much to
the total length.  I think the 3B1 video signal has some special timing
characteristics which makes it incompatible with a composite (or TTL) monitor.
A quick look in the Tech Ref manual should clarify it.

>2) Does anyone know how to get an extension cable for the keyboard other
>than splicing in some wires?

I canibalized an extra keyboard I had in order to get one of the nice locking
connectors that the keyboard uses.  Inside the case I just used standard berg
connectors and some wire to build an extension cable which allowed me to
put the keyboard connector on the left side of the case.

>3) are there any problems with moving the floppy drive to a seperate
>box?

Nope, my other 3B1 is using one right now since the internal one died.

>4) If I do move the floppy drive out, can I put a second hard drive
>in its place? (assuming the second drive mod and a 3b1 power supply)

Yes you can, I did, but be aware that the 3B1 power supply can't really
handle the load which two hard drives put on it.  Take it from experience,
I blew a 3B1 power supply after trying to do just that (it worked for
about a month though :-).  I now have my two drives being powered by
an additional 300W power supply which is also in the new case.

>5) Might there be any temperature problems with putting the 7300 into
>an enclosed cabinet ?

Heh heh, oh yea :-).  I have two Maxtor XT1140's in the enclosed case and
they seem to be in competition with my furnace :-).  I had to go to a
4.5" 120V boxer fan in order to get enough airflow through the case so
that my drives (and power supplies) didn't burn themselves up.  It's quite
a bit louder now than when I had the small 3" fan in there, but the components
stay *very* cool.
--
Managing a software development team 	|   Mark Dapoz
is a lot like being on the psychiatric	|   mdapoz%hybrid at cs.toronto.edu
ward.  -Mitch Kapor, San Jose Mercury	|   ...uunet!mnetor!hybrid!mdapoz