3B15 Modem Problem

Frank G Kienast fgk at well.sf.ca.us
Thu May 31 08:14:51 AEST 1990

At work, I am trying to connect a Hayes-compatible modem to an AT&T 3B15
computer.  I have found that, in order to make outgoing calls using cu, it
is necessary to wire the cable so that DCD (carrier detect, pin 8) is always
high (otherwise I get the message "Can't access device" whenever I try to
call out).  But having DCD high all the time creates problems when I am
ready to disconnect after a call.  After the other end hangs up, I get the
"NO CARRIER" message from the modem, but my terminal is still connected.
The only two ways I have found to break the connection so another terminal
can call out or someone can call in are: 1) Turn off the modem.  This
results is an immediate "Lost Carrier" messages and returns me to the Unix
prompt.  When the modem is turned back on, it is ready for the next call.
2) Enter "~.." (tilde dot dot).  This returns me to the prompt, but it is
necessary to log in as root and kill the uugetty on the modem line to free
it for further incoming or outgoing calls.

Is there any way to wire my modem differently or somehow set some parameter
differently so my modem will disconnect properly?  Please E-mail your

In real life: Frank Kienast
Well: well!fgk at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
CIS: 73327,3073
V-mail: 804-980-3733