tex3b1 -- TeX previewer for the 3b1

Andy Fyfe andy at juno.caltech.edu
Tue May 8 09:10:59 AEST 1990

I'm posting my tex3b1 previewer to unix-pc.sources.  It will be in six
parts.  With the help of John Campbell (who originated the manual page)
the sources should now compile without much grief on systems other than
my own.  One day tex3b1 may appear as part of Dirk Grunwald's SeeTeX
distribution.

I find it to be able to link in -lmalloc since it's quicker than the
version provided in libc.  To do this requires using a program like
John MacMillan's shcc.  I shamelessly stole much of shcc and made a
front end to /bin/ld that does the double link of shcc.  If installed
as gcc-ld then -shlib will get access automatically.  Or it can be called
directly (it can even be installed as /bin/ld, provided you give it the
(new) path of the real ld).  If one of the args is /lib/shlib.ifile, then
ld will do a double link, building its own version of the ifile.  If the
arg /lib/shlib.ifile doesn't appear, then it just calls ld normally.  One
other thing it does is to include, with the double link, an extra library
that contains those routines, like vprintf, that appear in libc but don't
appear in the shared library.  So I'll post that as well -- it's quite
small.

Andy Fyfe
            andy at csvax.caltech.edu
            wjafyfe at caltech.bitnet
            andy at cit-vax.UUCP	(...!ames!elroy!cit-vax!andy)