Backup problems on 6386 systems

Denis Beauchemin beauchem at terre.DMI.USherb.CA
Wed Nov 14 06:55:48 AEST 1990

Hi everybody,

We are plaged by a "I/O Error on write(), errno 5, I/O Error" message almost
every time we use our 120 MB tape drives (we have 3 on different 6386 systems).
Could someone tell me what is the cause of these errors?

I know it's related to hardware, but changing the tape drive or the media
doesn't make it go away.  We can't do reliable backups because of that!  Help!
(and AT&T isn't very helpful either)

Please answer by email since I cannot keep up with this list...

=== Denis Beauchemin,  === beauchem at DMI.USherb.CA ===
=== Sisca Informatique === I speak for myself...  ===