Backup problems on 6386 systems

Dennis S. Breckenridge dennis at nebulus.ampr.org
Fri Nov 16 04:38:00 AEST 1990

john at banzai.PCC.COM (John Canning) writes:

>In article <1990Nov13.195548.17967 at DMI.USherb.CA> beauchem at terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Denis Beauchemin) writes:
>>We are plaged by a "I/O Error on write(), errno 5, I/O Error" message almost
>>every time we use our 120 MB tape drives (we have 3 on different 6386 systems).
>We have found that once you get an I/O error #5, you must either
>reboot the system, or issue the command tapectl -r.  Both actions
>appear to reset the tape drive, which seems like a necessary step.

 This is not the only thing they are "quiet" about. As far as I understand
they have upgraded the Driver source to eliminate the hanging and Beta tested
a new rom for the controller. I don't know if they ever released the rom
but as far as I understand the new driver is version 2.1. I use both fixes
here and I still hang during a backup but not near as often.

 I suspect both fixes are acurate!